Front - Index - First - Previous - Next - Last
Portrait of Ferdinando Cosentini
The Botanical Sciences in Catania

Until the end of the 17th century botany was taught as a complement to medicine, or incorporated in the teaching of natural sciences, or at times taught as a secondary duty by professors of chemistry and pharmacy.

Only in 1788 did botany become an autonomous discipline with the creation of the chair of botany appointed to the pharmacist Matteo Di Pasquale. He made use of a small rented garden where he gave practical demonstrations to support lessons in the lecturehall.

Also Ferdinando Cosentini (1764 - 1840), who succeeded Di Pasquale in 1805, due to the lack of a public garden ".... managed ..... to compensate for such a defect, thanks to his own private garden" (PARLATORE, 1838).